The best advice for the success of your website and online marketing is much like the rest of our lives: Sometimes the best ideas come in small packages. Glance through these 33 quotes from marketing pros and see if you agree. If you’ve been looking to increase the ROI of your website and online presence, very often it’s just a single concept or simple idea that can make the entire process more focused and tangible. Read on to see if a few end up making a big change and bigger profits for your business.
In today’s business environment, a company’s website is the key to their entire business.
- Marcus Sheridan, Author of The Sales Lion
Remarkable online content and great sales copy are pretty much the same — plain spoken words designed to focus on the needs of the reader, listener, or viewer.
- Brian Clark, Founder of Copyblogger
One way to understand all social media is to consider each platform to be a new kind of public space.
- Danah Boyd, Social Media Researcher of Microsoft
Increasing your website ROI begins with never forgetting three simple words of action; attract, persuade, and connect.
- Gregg Murray, Author of Website Blueprint
People share, read and generally engage more, when content is surfaced through those they know and trust.
- Malorie Lucich, Facebook Spokesperson
Think about what a user is going to type.
- Matt Cutts, Google
The internet has turned what used to be a controlled, one-way message into real-time dialogue with the masses.
- Danielle Sacks, Fast Company Writer
The very first piece of social media real estate I’d start with is a blog.
- Chris Brogan, New Marketing Labs Founder
Give them quality. That’s the best kind of advertising.
- Milton Hershey, Founder of the Hershey Chocolate Company
People shop and learn in a whole new way compared to just a few years ago, so marketers need to adapt or risk extinction.
- Brian Halligan, Co-Author of Inbound Marketing & CEO of Hubspot
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about.
- Benjamin Franklin
The Web is like your Hollywood agent: It speaks for you whenever you’re not around to comment.
- Chris Brogan & Julien Smith, Authors of Trust Agents
Search, a marketing method that didn’t exist a decade ago, provides the most efficient and inexpensive way for businesses to find leads.
- John Batelle, Founder of Federated Media Publishing
Doing well with blogging is not about writing one key post, it is about performing day after day and helping a few people at a time.
- Aaron Wall, Author of The SEO Book Blog
Word-of-mouth marketing has always been important. Today, it’s more important than ever because of the power of the Internet.
- Joe Pulizzi & Newt Barrett, Authors of Get Content Get Customers
Corporations must answer questions about why they should be in the blogosphere. Small businesses need to answer questions about why they shouldn’t.
- Paul Gillin, Author of the New Influencers
Twitter is not a technology. It’s a conversation. And it’s happening with or without you.
- Charlene Li, Co-Author of Groundswell
Companies are learning that it’s much better to offer customers a place to give direct feedback at their virtual doorstep than to ignore complaints and let them crop up everywhere.
- Brian Reich & Dan Solomon, Authors of Media Rules
Marketing isn’t magic. There is a science to it.
- Dan Zarrela, Social Media Scientist at Hubspot
By publishing content that shows buyers you understand their problems and can show them how to solve them, you build credibility.
- Ardath Albee, Author of Emarketing Strategies for the Complex Sale
Authenticity, honesty, and personal voice underlie much of what’s successful on the Web.
- Rick Levine, Co-Author of The ClueTrain Manifesto
If you have more money than brains, you should focus on outbound marketing. If you have more brains than money, you should focus on inbound marketing.
- Guy Kawasaki, Co-Founder of Alltop
The attention economy is not growing, which means we have to grab the attention that someone else has today.
- Brent Leary, Co-Founder of CRM Essentials
Increasingly, search is our mechanism for how we understand ourselves, our world, and our place within it.
- John Batelle, Founder Federated Media Publishing
What happens online is you are constantly dealing with invisible audiences.
- Danah Boyd, Social Media Researcher for Microsoft
Clarity trumps persuasion.
- Dr Flint McGaughline, Director of MecLabs
I can take what I learned from writing articles, educate a new audience with a new channel, and leapfrog other companies who aren’t embracing this now.
- Brian J. Carroll, CEO of Intouch
Traditional methods of sales prospecting are grossly inefficient.
- Jill Konrath, Author of Snap Selling
What we really need is a mindset shift that will make us relevant to today’s consumers, a mindset shift from ‘telling & selling’ to building relationships.
- Jim Stengel, Former Global Marketing Officer of Procter & Gamble
To be successful and grow your business and revenues, you must match the way you market your products with the way your prospects learn about and shop for your products.
- Brian Halligan, Co-Author of Inbound marketing & CEO of Hubspot
In this age of microblogging and two-second sound bites, almost no one has the attention span, or time, to read more than a few sentences.
- Tim Frick, Author of Return to Engagement
Hyperlinks are the twenty-first-century equivalent of the name-dropper.
- Chris Brogan & Julien Smith, Authors of Trust Agents
When you break down all the fluff, there are two ways to promote and market your business: dumber, slower, and expensive —or smarter, faster, and cheaper.
- David Siteman Garland, Host of Rise to the Top